This site employs cookies, for both technical and profiling reasons.

If you continue browsing, it means you accept their use. Show detailed info

I accept


Choose language:

turiste con gelato

In the Santa Maria Novella quarter there are many interesting buildings, churches and museums to visit. The church gives the name to Florence main train station.
SMNThe Santa Maria Novella train station is one of the first buildings of Italian rational architecture, designed by Michelucci and was built between 1933 and 1935.

The Church of Santa Maria Novella was begun in 1246 for Dominican friars, and was completed in 1360. The white and green marble Gothic-Romanesque façade was completed by Leon Battista Alberti who designed the upper part. Inside the church there are splendid masterpieces including "The Trinity" by Masaccio, frescoes by Filippino Lippi and Ghirlandaio in the Tornabuoni chapel, a Crucifix by Giotto and a wooden Crucifix by Brunelleschi.The Museo di Santa Maria Novella is adjacent to the church. Here you can admire the splendid Green Cloister frescoed by Paolo Uccello and his school. In the Chapter Room, known as the "Cappellone degli Spagnoli" is a famous fresco by Bonaiuto.

On the same square in the building of the Leopoldine - opposite to the church - there is the Museo 900, a musuem dedicated to Italian modern art of the XX century.

Just a short distance from the square is the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, where perfumes, soaps and fragrances are made and sold in a Neogothic setting.
The deconsecrated church of S. Pancrazio houses the museum dedicated to Marino Marini, one of the foremost 20th century Italian sculptors.
The museum encloses the Rucellai Chapel, with the extraordinary Temple of the Holy Sepulchre by Leon Battista Alberti.
Leon Battista Alberti is a very important architect for this part of Florence. Also Palazzo Rucellai was designed by him; Bernardo Rossellino built this palazzo for Giovanni Rucellai between 1446 and 1458.  The loggia is also attributed to Alberti.
The building that houses the Museo di Casa Davanzanti dates from the mid-14th century.
In the early years of the 20th century it was purchased by the antique dealer Elia Volpi, who restored and furnished it to recreate a period Florentine home. The many rooms, several of which are decorated with frescoes and fine coffered ceilings, contain carved and inlaid furniture, chests, benches, paintings, tapestry, sculptures, ceramics, items used every day and in the kitchens.
A later palace is Palazzo Strozzi. Filippo Strozzi the Elder commissioned Benedetto da Maiano to build this palace. He began working in 1489 and was replaced by Cronaca who built the cornice and courtyard. Palazzo Strozzi is one of the finest expressions of Renaissance architecture.
The Church of santa Trinita built in the second half of the 11th century, was enlarged and modified according to the Gothic style in the early 14th century. The pietra forte façade was made to designs by Buontalenti towards the end of the 16th century. The major artworks inside the church are the Sassetti Chapel with the fresco cycle depicting "Scenes from the Life of St. Francis of Assisi" and the panel painting of the "Adoration of the Shepherds" by Domenico Ghirlandaio (1483-86).
And last note is about the former refectory of the monastery adjacent to the Church of Ognissanti: the so-called Cenacolo di Ognissanti  is graced by Domenico Ghirlandaio's painting of the "Last Supper", of which even the synopia is visible.


Published: 13/5/2013

Learn more

Accommodations Accommodations
Events Events
Historic business Historic business
Natural reserves Natural reserves
Place of interest Place of interest
Services and useful information Services and useful information
Shopping Shopping
Things to do Things to do
Where to eat Where to eat