This site employs cookies, for both technical and profiling reasons.

If you continue browsing, it means you accept their use. Show detailed info

I accept

fbtwytin

Choose language:

leonardo

An exhibition dedicated to David Bowie, icon of pop culture, portrayed by an undisputed master of Japanese photography: Masayoshi Sukita.

bowie-sitoPalazzo Medici Riccardi, the fifteenth-century residence of the Medici family, opens its doors to photographer Masayoshi Sukita and pays tribute to one of the most significant artists in the history of contemporary culture, who has been able to elevate rock music to the art form.

The show, where old and modern blend together, gives visitors the chance to admire the wonderful work that Sukita has dedicated to Bowie –both the artist and friend- and also to visit the prestigious palace, full of history and charm. More than 60 photos -some of them displayed in Italy for the first time- show the special bond that lasted over forty years between one of the most revolutionary artists of the twentieth century and the great Master of Photography.

Sukita and Bowie started working together back in 1972, when the photographer went to London for a shooting with Marc Bolan and T-Rex. Sukita was mesmerised by Bowie’s concert poster, portrayed with his leg up high: “Seeing David Bowie on stage opened up my eyes to his creative genius. Bowie was different to the other rock and rollers, he had something special that I knew I had to photograph”.

After their first photo shoot together, they started a long live friendship that only ended with Bowie’s death. However the special bond created between them has let us with some of the most iconic photos of the The Thin White Duke, as well as pictures that simply show as the his most sincere nature: the iconic shots that illustrated the cover of the album "HEROES", but also historical photographs taken from the personal archive of Sukita that talk about a friendship that began in the Seventies.

During the three months of the exhibition, there will be many events in the style of Bowie. The company Le Nozze di Figaro will coordinate a set of acoustic concerts of musicians in the courtyard of the palace and the fans of Bowie will be able to find at the bookshop a rich choice of books and merchandising dedicated to him.

Heroes - Bowie by Sukita

30 March-28 June 2019

Palazzo Medici Riccardi

Via Cavour, 1

www.oeoart.com

www.palazzomediciriccardi.it

Published: 26/3/2019

Learn more

Accommodations Accommodations
Events Events
Historic business Historic business
Natural reserves Natural reserves